The Mark V Jaguar was introduced in 1948, with production running just 3 years. It was a mixture of old e.g. overhead-valve pushrod engine, and new e.g. independent front suspension and hydraulic brakes. It had a very traditional design compared with the XK120, also released at the same time. However it vastly outsold the 120, and set a precedent for Jaguar with affordable but luxurious saloons.
Our 3.5 litre example was built on the 29th of November 1949, and comes with a Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate. Whilst not having the original engine fitted it does come with a spare 3.5 block, and an assortment of spares. Looking resplendent in two tone garnet red and black she epitomizes the post war glamour found in these cars. Dripping in chrome fixtures and fittings the colour scheme suits it perfectly, along with the white wall tyres, hidden behind spats. The interior is beautifully trimmed in tan leather, with a traditional wooden dash and array of switches and dials. Just what you expect on a classic, along with the functioning semaphore indicators.
Displayed in the National Automobile Museum of Tasmania for a number of years she has recently undergone some recommissioning for the road and drives well. Apart from the Heritage Certificate there are not a lot of records, but it is obvious that previous owners have looked after her. This is a stylish way to get into the vintage car scene and forms half of a matched pair. The Mark IV will be available shortly.
3.5lt straight six, 4-speed manual.
No location available